Evangel Youth Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Evangel Youth Forum

This is a place for our youth group to connect.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Versions of the Bible

Go down 
+2
Jessica:)
Timwalker08
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Are you KJV only?
Yes
Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
No
Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Vote_lcap86%Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 86% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
imacitybilly

imacitybilly

Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm

MAY THE KING JAMES BIBLE STAND.... lol
i really dont care. i got a KJV cuz thats all the church curriculum used @ the time, but now pastor preaches from a NKJV and teachers use w/e they want, so i wish i had a different version on my palm. get this: i PIRATED the bible! lol
Back to top Go down

Location : that place ya'll, where there ain't nobody crying, i'll take you there

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:10 pm

right.
Back to top Go down
peterjambler

peterjambler

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm sorry if I'm being confusing. On that line, none are perfectly literal. So starting on the left side of that line, you have translations that are as strict as possible and then you move closer and closer to a thought for thought paraphrase.
Back to top Go down

Location : that place ya'll, where there ain't nobody crying, i'll take you there

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:36 pm

but u just said that all paraphrase.
Back to top Go down
peterjambler

peterjambler

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:24 pm

Some go past paraphrase unfortunately, but they end up being more of an unfortunate joke than a legitimate attempt to convey the Word of God. e.g. the Cotton Patch Gospel

Last edited by peterjambler on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
peterjambler

peterjambler

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Right, that's what I said: there are two different philosophies that drive bible translations. And each translation falls somewhere on a line drawn between the two:

Literal ____________________________________________________________________Paraphrase (also known as Dynamic Equivalent)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:06 pm

yes, but some try to word for word translate it.
Back to top Go down
peterjambler

peterjambler

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Pastor Pierpont is correct, there are two different philosophies that drive efforts to translate the Bible. Unfortunately, it is impossible to have a perfectly literal translation that can be understood from one language to another. All translations, ancient and modern, contain some sort of paraphrase.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Pastor P just talked about this in his membership class. lol it was alot of info... he was saying how there are two different documents that the translations are translated from. a moderner one, and an older one.
he was also saying how niv is owned by zondervan whos owners aren't even Christians. i didn't know that...
anyways, the translation are translated either word for word or thought for thought. ie paraphrased. thats where we get Bibles such as the NIV or NIRV, etc. where as the NKJ, the KJV, and other are word for word.
Talk to him about, he knows alot about it and can give u many details and such.
Back to top Go down
imacitybilly

imacitybilly

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:57 pm

hey, who is this old guy on the YOUTH FORUM??????
Back to top Go down
peterjambler

peterjambler

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 pm

The NASB is the most literal translation available, leaving passages open for interpretation. Over the last year or two I sort of shifted from reading the NASB to reading the ESV. Recently I picked up a NIV and have enjoyed that translation as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm fond of the KJV and the NKJV. but i'm not limited to them.
Back to top Go down
Timwalker08
Admin
Admin
Timwalker08

PostSubject: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 pm

I might be killed for putting this up, but... This is the debate thread. affraid lol!

What are your views on translations of the Bible? Are you KJV only? Why? Or why not? study

I personally like the KJV, but I'm not KJV only. I like to go back to the KJV a lot of times just to make sure the translation is accurate, but I really like the ESV, NASB, The Holman, and NKJV.
Back to top Go down
http://www.evangelyouthgroup.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Versions of the Bible   Versions of the Bible - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Versions of the Bible
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3